08 May 2008

MomOktdid (from Thoughts, Ponderings, Musings) says that she cannot click on any links on my blog...I want to know if any of the rest of you have this problem, too...but if you cannot click to comment, how can you tell me? Ha!! I'm working on this!!

In other news, Liam went for his 4 month well baby checkup today, meaning that he had to have the next round of immunizations. FOUR shots in his chubby little baby thighs. It's heartbreaking. Both times he has gotten shots the nurse has made the comment that he would grow up to be a singer, because each time he has cried so hard that he was holding his breath for what seems like an eternity. The initial pained shriek is followed by a gulp of air that he just cannot seem to let go of, so he holds on, and on, and on, until you almost have to remind him to breathe again. What killed me this time is that he has lost a lot of the "baby" sound to his cries, and now he sounds so much like a little boy, with sobs and sniffles and gulps. Big tears roll down his face and he buries his nose in my shirt and hangs on to me and I could sob right along with him. Everyone told me it would be rough, but I had no real clue. He's sound asleep now, completely worn out from this morning.

I guess he has been pretty tired out a lot lately, because this past weekend my stepmom drove up from Florida with my grandmother and my nana. Nana and Grandma had never seen Liam before and spent the weekend doting on him, which he loved but which also exhausted him. He slept like a rock at night while they were here!! Liam has 4 great-grandmothers, 2 great-grandfathers, 3 grandmothers, and 2 grandfathers. Talk about spoiled!! It was really neat for him to get to meet his grandmas finally. I grew up surrounded by grandparents (obviously) and they are a very special part of my life, so I really hope that my son will be able to have the same in his childhood. I had a neat realization this weekend concerning my Nana - her oldest great-grandson is 21 years old, and Nana is 77. It's very possible if my cousin gets married and starts a family that my Nana could live to see her great-great grandchildren. We actually have a photo of this particular cousin with his great-great grandmother, Nana's mother, who I called Grandy. It amazes me to see all of the generations that have come from what started out as a marriage between two kids (Nana was 15 and Papa 16) 62 years ago. Amazing!

Ok. So, none of this was what I actually came here to blog about. I'm not sure I remember what the original thought was anymore. This is just one of those random thought days, I guess!!! If I remember my original intention, I'll come back. Until then!!

2 comments:

Andysbethy said...

I just wanted to say hi! I remember those immunization shots... I think my boys were pros at the "it's a tragedy" cry. Canaan is due for shots again now that he is turning five. It has been a long time since he has had to have a shot, so we'll see how it goes, now that he is old enough to tell me what he thinks!
Hopefully this works, since it sounds like there has been some trouble with links on your page.
Keep up the good work being a Mommy. It is a very important job and it sounds like you are doing fabulous!

Marcy said...

Hey Lindsay! I was not able to comment the other day and now I am! I can't imagine how awful it was to take Liam for his shots! Poor little guy has no idea what is going on. I would think it would be hard to work in a dr's office and have to give them all day and watch all the poor little babies cry!