29 January 2008

The Worries of Motherhood


I learned pretty early on in my pregnancy that motherhood was going to be full of worries. There are so many unknowns when you are pregnant, and I once thought to myself, "If I can just get him here then I won't worry so much." Immediately the absurdity of that thought hit me and I realized that the worries would only multiply once my son was no longer safely snuggled in my tummy. And it's true - of course Liam will never be safer than he was before he was born, and there are so many things that I'm unsure of as a new mother. I try very hard not to overreact and be ridiculous with my concerns but I'm sure to veteran mothers I would be hilarious. For example, we have spent so much time in this first month worrying over getting enough sleep and getting the baby to sleep at night. Last night he slept for six hours straight - and at 6 am when he had not woken up to feed, I promptly sat upright in bed in panic and rushed into the nursery to wake and feed my slumbering son, pleading with Brian to assure me that he was all right. The baby was fine, of course, and in the end I was thankful for the rest, but in the moment I was terrified!

Along this line, I've been thinking a lot lately about routines and schedules. We've pretty much let Liam control every bit of our time up to this point (as if we've had a choice) but I'm starting back to work very soon and I'm considering the need for a more predictable routine. I'm really not sure how much of a routine a 4 week old baby can be expected to have, but I'm freaking out a little about trying to work and care for him too. In some ways I have an ideal job with being able to work at home and stay at home with him, but at the same time I'm paid based on how much I produce and I'm questioning how much work I'm going to be able to actually get done with my baby needing to be fed and changed and soothed, etc. So I'm asking you all, especially those of you reading who have children (but I'll take any advice I can get!), what tips do you have for making life a little more routine with a baby?

I suppose I've rambled on enough for now. Until the next nap time!!!

Lindsay

5 comments:

Allison said...

I don't have kids so I can't give you any advice other than to tell you that you are an awesome mom and everything will eventually work out :)

And if I was in NC I'd be there taking Liam out on walks or shopping w/me or something ;)

Love you guys

Unknown said...

hi...I found your blog through my friend bethany....
I had to conmment on this because I can empathize with your over-worrying. Our first night home with our first baby, our daughter, I actually SET AN ALARM for 4 hours later in case she didn't wake up to be fed. HA! I think that is the last time we EVER set an alarm!
No tips for getting on a routine! We were never much for routine. My mother in law kept our second, I didn't work when our first was a newborn.

Andysbethy said...

I meant to comment on your last blog, because I was laughing at the "eating as fast as you could" comment. When I had Canaan, one of my best friends had just had baby number 3. She could nurse while eating, entertaining her other children, playing cards, whatever. I had to completely focus, and have both hands free. When he was about 6 months old I one day found myself nursing with one hand, and loading the dishwasher with the other. I just wanted to point out that it does get easier. They get older, which is easier (in some ways) and you get more comfortable with all the routine tasks.
I also woke up, sat up straight in bed, when Canaan was little, and finally slept for six hours straight. I was in a panic too, so I can relate. I still have to go in and see if the boys are breathing before I go to bed, and if they sleep later then expected in the morning. It is just a mom thing!
My only advice is don't push yourself too hard, don't expect too much. The schedule will happen, but it has to happen slowly. If you have a plan, you can work toward it, one step at a time. It sounds like you are doing great.

Marcy said...

Lindsay, I obviously don't have kids but a lot of my friends that do have their babies on a schedule. My friend Gina swears by the book "Baby Wise" and my friend Maggie uses that one as well as a few others including "The Secrets of the Baby Whisperer". So, hopefully you can get Liam into a schedule.

Marcy said...

Tag! You're it! I know you are super busy with the baby, but I thought it might be fun to see what your 10 random things are. Either way, check out my blog and let me know if you do it!